Editorial (Issue 4)

EDITORS HONOURED
The launch last month of The Inconsequential in the proud Central American nation of El Salvador proved an overwhelming experience for the entire population.

Following a relatively slow start when fewer than 400 copies were believed to have been read, the modest publication became a veritable publishing phenomenon! Within one week of its introduction, those 400 copies had become 40,000. Two weeks later, ten times that number were being distributed and just yesterday, the latest figures to emerge from the capital, San Salvador (the people may be proud, but they have little imagination), showed that an incredible 96% of the citizenry had read the first two issues, or had had them read to them. The other 4% were aware of its existence, but their copies had been removed after being branded subversive.

The incredible success of The Inconsequential in this largely undeveloped country was attributed purely to word of mouth – the massive nation-wide advertising campaign being deemed irrelevant. Demand now far outstrips supply, especially since the recurrence of a niggly printing problem with your joint editor’s inkjet.

Now, with almost the entire Salvadoran populace devoted fans of this humble effusion, the Government have made the bold move of bestowing a most singular honour on the two editors – the superimposition of their esteemed images onto a second national flag to be flown atop all Government buildings.

Not since the world-wide popularity of David Hasselhoff prompted a similar move in the 1980s has such a decision been taken. In that instance,  the ignominy of Baywatch effectively ended Mr Hasselhoff’s near legendary status in this little country and the flag idea was shelved. It seems, though, that The Inconsequential is a much stiffer proposition – 160 gsm to be exact – and the El Salvador leaders have been forced by public demand to put the flag into production.

A prototype has been manufactured (a sneak preview is shown above) and if this meets with the approval of the special committee set up to oversee the project, full production will begin next month.

A spokesperson for the editors said: “Both gentlemen are extremely proud to be given this honour, but if truth be told, also a little embarrassed. They feel this move is out of proportion to their achievements and both felt that, perhaps, two medium-sized statues in the capital’s centre would have been more appropriate.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *